[ARSCLIST] Triage, heroic efforts, and economics

Jim Lindner and I have been having an interesting off-list discussion about "heroic measures" for saving tapes (and media in general).

It seems as if I have become a magnet for hard-to-restore tapes -- which I don't mind, it adds to the challenge of the job. Also, I believe what may be hard-to-restore now may become easier-to-restore if proper procedures and protocols are developed and promulgated.

My current interest was sparked by a collection of 3M 175 in New York that a colleague is working on and a tape I have been asked to restore by the Hewlett Library and a few other projects. My understanding is these are all best/only copies extant.

One cassette tape that I used for testing a treatment for squealing tapes was selected precisely because there were multiple copies available. It had been mass duplicated, all the duplicates squealed, but the masters had gone missing.

This side track started as part of a chemistry/mechanics/physics discussion of tape failure modes at the microscopic level.

Jim sent me the reply (quoted below), and I am in agreement with it. I have found clients usually reliable in making the decision when presented with a cost estimate that substantially exceeds normal transfer costs.

I am a strong believer in only throwing money and time at problem restorations if one or more of the following are true:
(a) There is a good likelihood that the money will make a difference between success and failure
(b) There are likely to be no other equally good or better copies available
(c) The work affords an opportunity to refine restoration processes in this class of challenge

Jim and I both think this is worthy of further discussion around the archival community and I think a good place to start is how does an archive evaluate the economic tradeoff? When does it make sense to try and preserve the content? When is it time to merely perform last rites without attempted recovery?

Mike Casey's FACET program helps with this, and I cannot wait for its general availability. It provides a consistent risk evaluation across all types of collections to help prioritize the order of restoration. One of the things it does is promote to now the most at-risk collections, although importance of the collection is one optional factor that can be used.

There are certain situations where it is best to
look for another copy - rather then going to such extraordinary means to
effect play back. In almost all circumstances I have found other copies -
and it is more cost effective that way. Basically you need to bring the
curatorial aspect in here - a question like - are the extraordinary efforts
being attempted here justified by the value of the content in the first
place?- are there other copies?- and indeed - by spending the money required
by such extreme rescue efforts - are you limiting the opportunities to
restore a great deal more content? These are all very important
considerations as well. Basically - if you only have so much money - is it
best to spend it to play back one recording or remaster 20 at the same cost.
There have only been  a very few times - and I have done allot of stuff -
where the answer is - yes it is that valuable. Frankly - when the answer is
YES - it has almost always been a forensic project where the budget money is
available and the evidentiary nature of the tape is critical so that work is
cost justified. So the issue goes beyond technical and into the areas of
curatorial and business. Topics that may be worth discussing - I don't see
much discussion on these points - but they are extremely important.

I think that it is very important when discussing these issues to also
consider the business and curatorial aspects. ... If you are
looking at large migration projects - which is the market space in which we
operate - [these issues] become extremely important. The numbers get so high that
decisions need to be made and not all of them are "optimal". There are
trade offs.

Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.