From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx
Sent: 27 April 2006 13:41
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] TY vs Mitsui

Bill Prentice, you said,

>>The [British] Library as a whole is working on a mass storage setup,
>>and as soon as we have access to that, we'll ingest like crazy and
ditch
>>(or at least stop relying on) recordable optical media ASAP.

In this scenario, what will you rely on for backup?  Do I recall reading
that you will have mirrored servers at separate geographic locations?
Not being able to afford that, we are moving toward enterprise server
based storage for .wav files with backups on the discs in question
located elsewhere.  In addition, there will be backups on SDLT.  That
provides two magnetic storage options (HDDs and SDLT) and one optical.

>>I reckon a good quality, appropriately burned silver backup is safer
in
>>the *medium term* than a gold backup on batch-identical media.

Well put.

Thank you all for the thorough treatment of this subject!

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.