Re: [ARSCLIST] TY vs Mitsui

I used to do ths, using gold discs. Today, in the U.S., we're down to MAM and MAM.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Prentice, Will" <Will.Prentice@xxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 7:38 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] TY vs Mitsui

Even if the TY discs come out as comprehensively superior, it makes good sense to burn onto two discs with two distinct manufacturing backgrounds. Disc manufacturers change their formulations as and when they see fit, and keep these changes to themselves. If one company suddenly begins using, say, a dye formulation that fails after a couple of years, then you have the copies on the other set as a potential failsafe. At that stage you may not care if the initial results, however comprehensive, were less impressive :)

Regards

Will Prentice

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx Sent: 25 April 2006 23:13 To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [ARSCLIST] TY vs Mitsui

Here's a question for those who use cd-r for preservation.

I have used Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui for the last 8 years.  In that time
TY has always come out of my burners with much better quality as
demonstrated by a Clover Systems analyzer.  My question is, if TY has a
consistently better error rate than Mitsui, is there any reason for me
to use Mitsui at all?  I know the arguments for and against
phthalocyanine.  What do you all say?

Leaning towards TY exclusively,
Kevin Irelan

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.