[ARSCLIST] Australasian Sound Recordings Association Conference in August

Call for papers for the 2006 ASRA conference for the information of ARSC
members and listserve users.

   ASRA conference 2006 – Call for Papers
                             ASRA Conference 2006
             Australasian Sound Recordings Association Conference
                                 “Listening”
                                      at
                 The National Film & Sound Archive, Canberra
                         23rd to 25th of August 2006

   “Listening”

   "Listening looks easy, but it's not simple. Every head is a world." --
   Cuban Proverb

   The act of listening is essential to appreciation of radio, oral
   history, forensic audio, folklore, music and sound art, but what is
   listening? Is it a natural ability to be nurtured, a skill to be taught,
   or a state of mind? Listening is fundamental to sound creators,
   practitioners and audiences; how do our institutions support the
   development of listening and provide opportunities to foster the
   listening experience? Is listening a dying art, or has our approach to
   listening evolved as society becomes more media rich?

   Speakers will include professionals from the radio, audio production,
   music and sound archiving industries, plus representatives from academe,
   the arts and private collectors.

   "If we have listening ears, God speaks to us in our own language,
   whatever that language be" — Mahatma Gandhi

   Call For Papers

   Papers should be approximately 20 minutes in length and will be
   considered for publication in the annual ASRA journal. Please forward an
   outline to matthew.davies@xxxxxxxxxx or contact Matthew Davies on 02
   6248 2037.

   Suggested topics include:
   §  Learning to listen – listening as an acquired skill.
   §  Listening in research – using sound recordings as primary research
   material.
   §  Listening for inspiration – how does listening foster creativity?
   §  Listening and imagination – why does radio have the best picture?
   §  Listening and emotion in music and sound art.
   §  Listening and language.
   §  Noise and other barriers to listening.
   §  Oral and written traditions – differences and similarities.
   §  Listening, conflict and reconciliation.
   §  Hearing and listening v. seeing and watching.
   §  Listening and technology.
   §  Not listening.

   “Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished
   listening”. — Dorothy Sarnoff

Matthew Davies
A/g Senior Curator of Recorded Sound
National Film & Sound Archive
McCoy Circuit Acton Canberra ACT 2601

Tel: +61 26248 2037  Fax: + 61 2 6248 2165   Mob 0417 144 798

www.nfsa.afc.gov.au
The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides access
to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded sound
culture. We are part of the Australian Film Commission.