Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording bagpipes (was:portable sound recording devices)

Very interesting... I have recorded many pipers of all kinds from irish to Balkan Gaidas, though mostly in live music sound gigs.

I'd just like to "pipe" in with a reminder that I think the original inquiry was about recording classes? Thus it is not master quality hi fi recording, but capturing the pipes as well as the instructor's speaking... am I correct?

I just love the depth and tangents we engineer types get into, but not to forget the actual client's request. When I am asked to record a lecture i do not worry about the actual sound of the room and the audience, just the voice and the words...

We are trying to help with a specific task, an anateur getti ng his lessoms right, not a master quality recording destined for SACD! Am I right, or not?

There's a pro audio list I am on where a simple question evolves into a deep and long discussion of diaphragm types and acoustic principles and how far away from the cannon you need to place a candenser mic, and which type of material should be best uesd in that diaphragm... This list so much like that! Enlightening and interesting, but sometimes a bit beyond the original question.

Just a meta comment. I feel honored to be among such stellar intellects of audio, but what was the question again?

On the other hand, I'd LOVE to see that diagram of BBC pipe recording techniques! I'll just bet it calls for Coles mics!

<L>

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689