Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] RCA symphonic work competition - 1929

Hello,

The special envelope the record came in discloses much information .
As usual, the envelope is much more elusive thant he record.

I have an envelope.

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> Dontaitchicago@xxxxxxx 4/17/2006 6:04 PM >>>
  I have a copy of the 78 to which Steve Smolian referred, Victor 36000. The
labels read

  36000-A -- TWO SYMPHONIC SKETCHES
                    (a) Nocturne (b) March
                     (1st Prize Award)
                     (Thomas Griselle)

  36000-B -- SONG OF THE BAYOU
                    (2nd Prize Award)
                       (Rube Bloom)

  The Griselle is credited to the Victor Concert Orchestra, the Bloom to the
Victor Salon Group (male voices). The conductor of both is Nathaniel Shilkret.

  It's interesting that the label doesn't say what contest these works won,
but I gather from what Steve wrote that there was accompanying publicity (that
would be typical of Victor) and perhaps the company assumed that purchasers
would know.

  Don Tait