Re: [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

In a message dated 4/11/2006 4:31:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrichter@xxxxxxx writes:
Bob Conrad wrote:
> Okay, this has just become my number one pet peeve.

I just received it as well. While I cannot attest to the date, I can
assure you that
a) it is ancient (by Internet standards)
and
b) my computer clock is accurate and has been since well before the date
of that message.

I do not believe that the listowner or anyone else can interfere with
the process of timestamping - or with the vagaries of list servers in
holding and disgorging messages.

Looking at full headers, it is clear that it was received by
ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx on the day sent, but was spooled at LOC for over a
year, when it was moved from one queue into another and eventually
drifted out:

For what it might be worth, for diagnostic purposes, I received the original
post when it was sent and did NOT get it this time around.

Mike Csontos

-----------------

Subj:  [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST
Date: 12/10/04 4:17:25 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: smolians@xxxxxxxxx (Steven Smolian)
Sender: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx (Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List)
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx

There is a new NIST report which is a product of an NIST CD and DVD recorable
disc test in collaboration with the Library of Congress.  It discusses dyes,
reflective surfaces and variations in storage conditions.

Conclusion: The gold/silver CD discs using phthalocyanine dyes were
consistantly more stable than the others.  Though not mentioned by name, the
Mistui Gold was the only such disc on the US market during this study, though
Tayo-Yuden was phasing out its own such product. "It is demonstrated here
that CD-R and DVD-R media can be bery stable... these media types will ensure
data is availble for several tends of years and therefore may be suitable for
archival use.

The 8 page study appears in the Journal of Research of the National Institute
of Standards and Technologt, Vol. 109 no. 5, Sept-Oct, 2004.

I found this on the web this AM but was unable to locate it (and its URL)
this afternoon.  Prehaps it's been reposted by now.

One weakness in the study is that it ignores the issues of disc capacity and,
particulary, writing speed.   Better we have this guidance now, however, than
wait for a more comprehensive report.

Steven Smolian

Date:         Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:58:06 -0500
Sender: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List