Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

On 06/04/06, Karl Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Don Cox wrote:
>
>> So would Beethoven's metronome marks work only in Studio 8H?
>
> While I don't know if you were being serious or not with your
> question...
>
> I do wonder about the process of determining tempo markings. I am
> reminded of my old days as a composer. I must admit that I never
> thought about the notion of what the acoustic might be since you could
> never anticipate the acoustic of the hall. One work was performed
> several times and I have tapes of the various performances...all given
> in different halls. While there were slight differences in tempi, for
> the most part, all of the conductors pretty much paid attention to
> what I wrote...and each time, the particular hall changed the sound,
> sometimes blurring the line.
>
> I guess a Beethoven 5th done with fast tempi, recorded in a
> reverberant hall, just wouldn't work...which raises in my mind, a
> curious question...are some pieces better suited to a particular
> acoustic environment? Certainly there are more obvious considerations
> like most chamber music working best a dry acoustic environment...but
> I do wonder if some large ensemble pieces work better in a dry
> acoustic...

I think Bruckner's music is more suited to a long reverberation time
than Beethoven's.

But I am only a listener. It would be interesting to hear from
experienced conductors and recording engineers.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx