Re: [ARSCLIST] Dual Layer DVD

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Lou Judson wrote:

> By the way, I was not reprimanding you, just hoping they hadn't made
> another new breed - we haven't even seen bluray yet!

Feel free to reprimand me if you like, I am more musician than recording
engineer and recognize my limitations...well most of the time...

I have read about things like the Sony Double Density CD-RW

>From geek.com

Sony's Double Density CD-RW
posted 4:49pm EST Wed Mar 14 2001
NEWS
Sony has released more details on its Double Density (DD) ATAPI CRS200E-A1
DD-CD-RW drives. They will cost US$249 and be in stores in April 2001.
They can write at 12x speeds to DD-R and CD-R and 8x for DD-RW and CD-RW,
while reading at 32x. DD-R discs, as they are called, will initially go
for $1.99, with DD-RW discs at $2.99.

There is also a Sony Double Density 80mm DVD-RW For Use With Sony
CamCorders Only

Then we have

HD-DVD (high-density DVD) is a high capacity optical storage medium. A
single-layer HD-DVD provides up to 15 gigabytes (GB) of storage capacity
and the double-layer disc offers up to 30 GB. A standard single-sided,
single-layer DVD offers 4.7 GB storage capacity

and

"But, however you determine to name it, DVD significantly increases
capacities, with double-sided, double-density DVD discs able to hold up to
17 GB of data."
(somehow I wonder about their use of the word determine)

http://www.pcmech.com/show/multimedia/47/

I read of the Samsung Blu-ray player being launched in the
US in late June.

And for you wikipedia lovers...

Then I read of the HVD (Holographic Versatile disc)

"Optware is expected to release a 200GB disc in early June of 2006 and Maxell in
September 2006 with a capacity of 300GB"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Additional reading tells me that the holographic disc has the potential of
storage up to 3.9 terabytes...can you imagine trying to index one of
those...and what the content of that might cost...even without paying
the lawyers for the copyright searches, negotiations, etc.
and how such a notion would keep me from being so frustrated over the bandwidth
limitations of the internet...even with my ethernet connection...versus
how the internet use could change...etc. iTunes on a disc...a VERY
expensive disc.

I am wondering if anyone knows a source of information as to whether or
not those designing these things (the ubiquitous "they") are giving any
thought to longevity of the media.

Karl