Re: [ARSCLIST] Encouraging ...

Tom Fine wrote:

My friend who says he is "downsizing" his life just sold off his LP collection. All in good
condition, a lot of audiophile pressings, mostly rock but plenty of jazz (at least what's left
after
I had a freebie day) and a smattering of classical. He got $4500 for the pile. Definitely less
than
he paid, by a long shot, but remember he collected for 30+ years and he at first considered
just
dropping the whole van-full of records off at the local library. So there IS still some value in
them thar piles of olde vinyl. The buyer will undoubtedly make more than he paid selling
them one by
one on ebone.

-- Tom Fine

And on the other side of the coin, I've been asked to help a dying collector who has what I'd
call a gorgeous collection of mostly classical LPs....about 20,000 discs and all "good ones".
He'd like to see the collection stay intact. So far, every Canadian library and university he's
tried has turned him down. A dealer may be the next step.

dl