Re: [ARSCLIST] Zits cartoon strip, or, a personal rambling rant

Karl Miller wrote:

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> ----- nobody in power has really been happy with the masses' access to
> knowledge, and the moment money talks (i.e. the libraries need a lot of money
> for expensive inner-city premises, staff, and repairs of the materials),
> cheap fixes will be sought - and found. One fix is "oh, has nobody requested
> this for 25 years; well, then obviously nobody needs it".

 Oh, how true this is. I look at the treasures I have seen deleted from our
 public library and placed in the book sales for next to nothing. Sometimes
 I have "rescued" items in the hope of find a good home for them. I am
 reminded of a full set of Source Magazine I found at our Public Library
 sale. When I gave it to a friend (I had paid $10 for the full set)
 he was thrilled. Come to think of it, with single volumes
 selling for about $200 these days, I wonder if he might have sold them...

I did better than that one time....when the CBC was moving, the record library put a whole
batch of BIRS Journals out by the door. Luckily it was a day I was there, thank you.

 I am still burning from being forced into selling about 3,000 78s for $10
 at surplus (not $10 per disc but $10 for all of them)...and there were a
 few very good discs there.

Karl

I keep turning up "get this out of here" collections...and taking them. Maybe in the next
lifetime I'll actually get to sort through them.

dl