Re: [ARSCLIST] Zits cartoon strip

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad
>
> Karl Miller wrote, among which I would like to comment on
> > *When he figured out he could download what he wanted
> > for next to nothing, or record things via the internet radio for free and
> > store them digitally, he realized his old way of doing things was not very
> > productive...the illegality of his old ways didn't seem to bother him much.
>
> ----- I do not understand the last part (from the * I have inserted). What he
> could download or record via internet radio is only a poor substitute for the
> linear signal he could obtain by copying. Obviously, if he copied the fine
> linear signal to MP3, then the argument is valid.

I believe that the argument is also valid (from a subjective perspective)
if the quality of sound he requires need not be the best. I agree that a
download, even the best quality MP3 can be a compromise. For my friend, he
found that the MP3 and the internet radio quality was adequate and
took less time than his going to the library, checking it out a CD,
copying it, and bringing it back to the library.

Similarly, a "digital" book does not give one the same quality of content
as a book done on fine paper, with a good binding, as the object has
its own value.

 In Danish public libraries
> there is a latency period subsequent to commercial publication of a CD,
> during which it cannot be "checked out" from a library. This is one of the
> necessary compromises, balancing the needs of record companies to have the
> market to themselves and the right to know and to study in-depth of the
> general public. Fair use is the buzz word that is almost forgotten.

This is something I did not know. As a librarian, I find it amazing that
in the US, where we have probably the most restrictive copyright laws for
recordings, yet, there is no such consideration given to record companies.
Perhaps US companies just haven't thought about that yet.

In this country, based upon my experience with, and knowledge of, our
copyrights, "Fair use," is almost an oxymoron. There are so
many restrictions for it to be "fair" that it rarely gets "used."

Karl