Re: [ARSCLIST] Soviet audio tech standards

Will, you are asking some interesting questions.

I have MRL test tapes for speeds down to 1.88 and if I use off-speed transfers, I transfer the MRL as well. You can also use it (or the calcs at the MRL site) to adjust the equalization. If you can't get it flat at the reproducer, you can make a "flattening" curve in the DAW and add that to what the machine equalizes.

That will get you flat to today's standards. If you KNOW the standards in place at the time, then you can do mods from the modern standard to make up for that. If you don't know the historic standards, I suggest using the closest actual standard and EQing from there to taste in the post production process. Why? Because if y ou later find out the historic standard and you transferred to a known standard, you can apply the correction factor.

The good news is that slow-speed recording has been pretty standard over the years in both Europe and North America.

Oh, and I'd use a narrower head than full-track as my experience is that at 7.5 in/s some tapes that were recorded full track will have enough dimensional shift to comb-filter the high frequencies as the azimuth wanders. If the tape plays well with a full-track head then I'd do it, as that will provide best reproduction, but if you can get a 100-mil centre swath, that might be the best.

Look at the MRL site for the historic EQs as well. Start with his Choosing and Using document. http://www.flash.net/~mrltapes/

I think you'll find that the NAB standard for 3.75 propagated around the world so anything that was copied from any flavour of Western technology should be to that standard. 1.88 might be less of a standard, but from reel-to-reel tapes be happy if you get anything approaching fidelity. I think even Tandberg set an upper limit of 8kHz for their response at 1.88. It was only later that Nakamichi (and others) showed us the way.

The other option MIGHT be direct/constant current recording as in instrumentation recorders. Again, if you find that out later, you can convert.

I don't think 1.88 and 3.75 in/s recordings made on consumer recorders from 1953-1965 are going to be particularly high fidelity, and from 1965-1991 they might be, but towards the end I suspect quality will fall off again as the recording equipment aged. I've done a few tapes where the family kept the same machine for a 15 year period and the later recordings sounded worse than the earlier ones.

I would try to get documented transfers and then fix whatever you can in post. I would suspect a lot of 50 Hz hum that will be unstable due to speed perturbations in the recorder.

This is all speculation, but it is also process. Use it as you see fit. We still don't know the precise EQ curve of Mullin's modified Magnetophons, so we're transferring at the 17.5 µs EQ curve spec'd for today's 30 in/s reproduction. If we ever find out, we'll modify what we need to. If anything goes out, it can be adjusted now to sound "good."

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.