Re: [ARSCLIST] Quarter-inch splicing tabs...

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

----- this is the thread about editing to get a satisfactory result.

The best-spoken person I know about who was in favour of detailled editing
and who took pride in being able to that himself was Glenn Gould. I respect
his attitude, but I prefer no editing -- so-called warts-and-all -- for my
own enjoyment. In other words, broadcast transmissions from concerts would
come close.

I still remember an almost physical experience I had ca. 1975. It was
reproduction on loudspeakers with enhanced difference signal: normal pair at
front and a series connection of two "side speakers" (one on each side) fed
from the hot ends of the stereo channels. Bang & Olufsen had this as a
standard set-up, and the stereo perspective could be quite staggering. The
experience regarded a Sviatoslav Richter recording from his "Italian tour", I
believe it was from 1962. Richter gave concerts in many halls, and they were
all recorded - the grand was the same, because it travelled with him. When
the record was edited he was quite firm about what he wanted: "these bars
from Bari, this from Rome, these from Milan, these from Bari, again, etc.".
It all sounded very well, but the stereo perspective and ambience (which was
artificially enhanced by the speaker setup) fluctuated wildly, indicating the
actual cuts. I have not done an effort to recreate that experience myself
since, for instance using headphones.

Kind regards,

George