Re: [ARSCLIST] Editing and splicing

At 04:21 PM 3/13/2006, Bob Olhsson wrote:
If you examine the scientific research that went into the development of lossy audio encoding, you'll discover that blind testing isn't all that it's commonly cracked up to be. Unfortunately audio pseudo-science has become every bit as common as audio mysticism.

I had the opportunity to do some double-blind ABX testing and the comments I received from other professionals:
(1) I'd never give the viewer the switch box
(2) Oooh this is interesting, but the statistical analysis isn't deep enough so we can't use it:
Oooh this is interesting, but it would take too long and cost too much.
translation to me considering I had the statistical approach approved by a Caltech Ph.D.
statistician: We don't want this revealing a test.

What did you find out about the blind testing for audio codecs?

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.