Re: [ARSCLIST] Quarter-inch splicing tabs

Marcos Sueiro wrote:
I can tell you that I just started working at Columbia U as audio archivist, and two weeks ago I was at the Computer Music Center, "the first in its hemisphere". Albeit not an expert in the history of computer music, I was still blown away by the RCA Mark II synthesiser (taking up two walls of a large room), and the several (working!!) Buchla modules. Yesterday's cutting edge machines are today's revered antiques.
<http://www.music.columbia.edu/cmc/>

At age 66, I have a few years on the other "fogeys" who have posted on this thread. (Even so, I've not changed the misleading Subject line.) Last year, I pulled out my introduction to such music, the ten-inch LP of "Tape Recorder Music" of Luening and Ussachevsky, to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary. The music is no longer shocking, no longer questionable as to whether it is music at all.

It is surprising how much of this material is almost lost already. I had the pleasure of sending some of Cathy Berberian's work with her then-husband, Luciano Berio, to Cathy's daughter. She had known that there were commercial releases on minor labels, but had none of them herself. Often it is the artists themselves who lack their recordings; in some cases, it appears that I've been the only source.

Fortunately, analogue discs are still playable and well-kept copies provide satisfying sound. My hope is that even those which are unlikely to get commercial release be available to students, scholars and performers - copyright be damned!

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/