Re: [ARSCLIST] Laser Turntable and Damaged Vinyl

It'll take a very long time saving change. Think "saving paychecks".
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Laser Turntable and Damaged Vinyl

Charles Lawson wrote:

A little while back, someone on this list asked whether playing a damaged
vinyl disc on a laser turntable might yield improved results over straight
stylus playback. I chimed in that, yes, the LT can often make a damaged
disc sound substantially better by virtue of reading a less damaged part
of the groove wall. A couple of you challenged me (privately) to provide
an actual audio demonstration to prove my assertion, so I took some time
to assemble a short MP3 today that shows fairly dramatically how the laser
pickup can improve matters with a damaged disc. The demo file comprises
three brief parts: stylus playback (using a well-known, well-regarded
stylus/cartridge/turntable combination--with a very low-time stylus that
is properly set up), laser playback of the same material and then a
full-restoration of the original material (using a variety of software
tools) based on the laser pickup. The MP3 is less than 1 MB in size and
I'll be happy to email it to anyone who'd like it.

The demonstration is most effective and I thank you for it. Amateur that I am, I will venture some comments.

The sound with the conventional stylus is worse than I have ever encountered except when the wrong stylus was used. I believe I've mentioned before that some 1950s issues on Odeon and other European EMI labels require an elliptical 78-rpm stylus. With a conical stylus made for LPs (0.7 mil, IIRC) and a filthy, scratched disc, the sound is similar to that sample.

The raw sound with the laser pickup is a revelation, as promised. The sound has no evidence of the grundge in the groove and it appears that an optimum stylus geometry has been found as well. The demo proves the case.

As for the processed audio from the laser pickup, it shows that someone <G> knows how to clean up a decent capture. From intolerable to enjoyable in three easy demonstrations.

I urge everyone concerned with preserving LPs to listen - and to start collecting spare change for such a system.

I will happily host the file on a WWW page (no ads, no cookies) if desired.

Thank you, Charles.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx