Re: [ARSCLIST] Question re DuoDisc records

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> And I ran into an entire batch recorded at 56RPM, marked as such on the
> label..evidently someone had a dual turntable setup, in Montreal in the
mid 40s,
> and was able to adjust the machinery to get the maximum recording time
available
> on a ten-inch disc without going to 33. Hundreds of these discs turned up
in
> Toronto some time in the 80s, all airchecks of musical and drama and
comedy
> programs and newscasts (and using the absolute maximum space on each disc
and
> eliminating commercials, dammit).
Ah...those 55 rpm records! I think I have about six of those (and no player
with a 55rpm speed selection...)
> > I once transferred a sermon given by a prominent
> > Ohio minister and University head that was recorded onto DuoDiscs from a
> > WCKY radio broadcast. The voice sounded fine to me, but then I played it
for
> > a man who had heard this minister speak many times and knew him. He said
"oh
> > no, the pitch of the voice should be much lower," and he imitated the
> > minister for me. I applied the change in speed, and it corrected the
whole
> > recording, even the musical segments. The man was right, and I guess I
was
> > lucky to connect him with the recording, as the minister in question
died in
> > 1953.
Back in my youth, I used to listen to WCKY occasionally...if only to hear
their
commercials! Late at night, they used to sell all sorts of stuff by mail
order
(shades of XERF!)...and the ads always ended with "...send no money, just
your
name and address on a postal card, to 'W-C-K-Yah, Cinncinnati one, o-hah-oh'
and
then pay the postman when your order arrives!" IIRC, they often
featured"Wayne
Raney and the Raney family"...

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/