Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound recordings in 2000 year old pottery...

Kara wrote to me:

> I am very sad to say that it was a hoax, (a brilliant hoax) for april
> fools day...
>
> http://www.bilgesehir.com/c_filmo_principale/e_vases_sonores/Bilge%20Sehir%20-%20Vases%20sonores.htm
>
> though I want to believe it's true.

Oh well, I guess the joke's on me, then!

<embarassed/>

> here's an article I found concerning Archaeoacoustics and some
> references of other articles written:
>
> http://members.chello.se/christer.hamp/phono/archaeo/archaeo.html
>
> "Recovering sound from pottery was suggested by Richard Woodbridge in
> "Acoustic Recordings from Antiquity", Proceedings of the I.E.E.E.
> 1969, pp. 1465-6).
>
> Years later, similar experiments were made in Gothenburg, Sweden, by
> archeology professor Paul Åström and acoustics professor Mendel
> Kleiner (see
>
> The Brittle Sound of Ceramics - Can Vases Speak? by Mendel Kleiner and
> Paul Åström, Archeology and Natural Science, vol. 1, 1993, pp. 66-72,
> Göteborg: Scandinavian Archaeometry Center, Jonsered, ISSN:
> 1104-3121). They were able to recover some sounds."

O.k., well this is interesting.

I surmise that only a small percentage of turned pottery will have
recoverable recorded sound. The work being done by Haber, et al at
Lawrence Berkeley Lab on the recovery of recorded sound by analyzing
groove images is of interest here.

Jon