Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette obsolescence - digitizing standards

Both analog-to-digital (A/D), and its inverse digital-to-analog (D/A),
conversion require filtering. When digital audio is "played", the output of
the D/A converter is filtered to remove the "steps", resulting in a
continuously varying "smoothed" analog output that can closely replicate the
analog input. Fidelity to the original depends on the initial sampling
frequency, i.e. how close together the "steps" are, and also bits per sample
that determines how accurately the recorded amplitude represents the
original amplitude and also determines the noise floor.

16-bit samples represent 65,536 possible values. If noise is the
quantization error of one-half bit, then the noise floor is 102 dB below the
maximum possible (peak) output. Similarly, amplitude uncertainty of one-half
bit represents amplitude distortion of 0.0008%.

Although A/D and D/A conversion may superficially seem artificial, its
fidelity usually surpasses that of purely analog means such as records and
analog tape. Ears accustomed to records and tape have "learned" to expect
certain colorations, and digital audio may seem sterile when these are not
present. I started playing with mono "hi-fi" in the 1940's, and initially
thought that stereo was unrealistic. How things change!

Digital capture and storage usually provides error detection and correction,
advantages not present for analog means where scratches, debris, hum, and
the like impair playback.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.