Re: [ARSCLIST] Another SSS playback technique?

I tried baby powder (the kind containing starch), which resulted in a
noticeable loss of high frequency material.

I would not use talcum powder for safety reasons - to the humans, not the
tape.

Parker Dinkins

on 2/22/06 12:42 PM US/Central, Angie Dickinson Mickle at
angie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> <<I've had equally good results using talcum to ease the friction
> allowing playback, negating the need for baking. I just stood there with
> a handful of talcum and applied it to the tape with a finger before it
> entered the tape guide on the supply reel side ...
>
> Right, it's the binder liquefying, but it's the friction of the smooth
> head that causes it to stick. Applying talcum reduces the friction, and
> allows the tape to travel across the head without "locking up" the
> transport.
>
> It's always worked for me, and was more convenient than baking, which
> sometimes required several attempts. I'm actually quite surprised that
> the technique wasn't more popular. I learned it from a tech who is now a
> head tech at Capitol.>>

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation