Re: [ARSCLIST] Another SSS playback technique?

Hi, Angie,

What scares me about talcum (and graphite to some extent) is the potential for spacing loss between the head and the tape. Graphite is a known tape lubricant (it was used extensively in tape cartridges). Talcum's particle size and propensity to adhere to its neighbouring particles makes it more of a concern.

Perhaps Peter Brothers has something to say about this?

I would think the high frequency response would be quite variable as the hydrolysis products and the talcum could (at least as I'm imagining it now) create quite a "paste."

Someone should try it and evaluate it. Here's more than I knew about the substance: http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/talc/talc.htm

Cheers,

Richard