Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette obsolescence - digitizing standards

Jeffrey Kane wrote:
Perhaps my understanding is faulty; I'd always thought processing should be
done at a higher resolution if possible to minimize adverse effects on the
signal and preserve as much resolution as possible. Applying certain effects
to 16 bit audio if editing in 16 bit resolution could result in loss of
resolution could it not?

"Resolution" is an odd word here which does not apply in any definition I know. 16-bit resolution gives better than 90 db signal-to-noise ratio. As said before, a cassette tape is unlikely to offer as much as 60 db SNR; ideally, it can get up to about 64. That still leaves some 30 db for processing, a factor of 30.

One could do so much processing that the sound would be degraded, but it is extremely unlikely in practice. A really dramatic change of equalization could inspire capturing more than 16 bits, but that's about the only case I can think of.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/