Re: [ARSCLIST] White haze on older LPs -- cure??

On polystyrene Mercurys I've noticed grey splotches or entire sides which seem related to the ageing process rather than sleeving. The crunch fiercely. This is true, to a much lesser degree, with a few early Columbias until their vinyl improves. I don't know the cause and these seems no cure.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] White haze on older LPs -- cure??

Hi Phillip:

Respectfully, I doubt it's a factory problem because I have other copies of the same record (in not as good condition) that don't have the whitish-hissy vinyl problem. It seems to be a storage problem and based on the few records here that have it, it seems to be related to those awful clear plastic inner envelopes that seemed to be popular in the mid and late 50s. My theory is that the whitish substanced leached out of the plastic and bonded with the vinyl. Further testing on another record indicates that it's fused into the surface material, not a coating unless it's a perfect coat that sits over all contours (I liiked with a microscope and varied the angle to see the groove contours). I also looked at the hiss in a spectrum display and it's annoying because it's high-frequency hiss and not fuller-spectrum hiss like on tapes. Most present in the high-midrange area but up into the upper frequencies. EQ'ing out the top -- where there's no music anyway on these old LPs -- say above 12K or so, actually makes it more annoying because it brings out what's present in the music-containing bands. Bottom line is, c'est la vie.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>