To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 4:18 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Library of Congress/NAVCC digital preservation
infrastructure

A program to digitally preserve selected film collections (primarily 16mm

B&W material, kinescopes, etc.) will follow within a few years.

The inherent problem with computerizing stuff on this sort of
a long-term schedule is that by the time the digitization is
completed, it is possible that the format will be so obsolete
as to make it essentially inaccessible!

I have megabytes of dBASE files (which are at least importable
into most database applications)...as well as the original files
I created for my Dating Guide...on 5.25" floppies in a format so
obsolete no 21st century program can comprehend them!