Re: [ARSCLIST] Network storage best practices

Kevin,

We are exploring similar issues at the Archives of Traditional Music as
part of the Sound Directions project. A few resources I have recently
found helpful:

1. IASA TC-04, which you may know about, contains high-level digital
mass storage principles plus specfic information on various storage
options.

2. The PrestoSpace project website has tutorials on storage and on media
migration at http://prestospace-sam.ssl.co.uk/index.html

3. Two digital library-oriented articles that discuss data integrity
issues, modeling threats, etc. The first comes out of the LOCKSS
initiative which may not be appropriate for storing audio, but the basic
ideas are important.

Requirements for Digital Preservation Systems
A Bottom-Up Approach
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november05/rosenthal/11rosenthal.html

A Fresh Look at the Reliability of Long-term Digital Storage (technical
report, work in progress 08/05) http://www.arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0508130

I'd be happy to talk further privately to compare notes if useful.

Mike

---------
Mike Casey
Associate Director for Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music
Indiana University

(812) 855-8090
micasey@xxxxxxxxxxx