Re: [ARSCLIST] Network storage best practices

You might want to start by looking at the "Reference Model for an Open
Archival Information System (OAIS)" and "ISO 17799".  Also, RLG is
developing an audit checklist for certification of trusted digital
repositories; a draft for public comment was published in August 2005 and
the deadline for comment was 15 January 2006.

Best,

DS

Daniel Sbardella
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY  10023

212.870.1609

             Ganesh.Irelan@SYD
             A.ORG
             Association for           ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             Recorded Sound                                             cc
             Discussion List
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx                                     Subject
             >                         [ARSCLIST] Network storage best
                                       practices

             02/15/2006 09:27
             AM

             Please respond to
              Association for
              Recorded Sound
              Discussion List
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx

Can anyone share there own, or direct me to documentation on, network /
server best practices for archival data storage?  I find plenty of high
level admin and planning information on the web but nothing specific in the
technical realm.  In our organization we are realizing that with more and
more of our collections items and information residing on our corporate
servers we need to decide whether to continue to have the IT Department
manage it, in partnership with the archive, or whether we need to make a
case that the archive should implement its own IT function because of our
specialized needs.  It is those "specialized needs" I am trying to get a
handle on.

I realize this might not be an easy question to respond to on list.  Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Kevin Irelan