Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" Hold-down tape

Hello ,

I have used what is called "artists tape " for many years to hold down acetate, nitrate and estar based film and all types of paper, acetate and polyester based magnetic tapes .

Artists supply shops stock it here.

It can be removed readily without leaving any obvious traces of adhesive. Sometimes I find that it has come off voluntarily, but this is the exception versus the rule. I suspect that the film simply wasn't clean when I applied it.

It comes in various widths so it doesn't have to be cut down.

I'd appreciate hearing others' experiences with it.

Sincerly,

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> geeta.jatania@xxxxxxxxxx 2/14/2006 1:07 AM >>>
Can anyone reccomend a brand of hold-down tape which is suitable for
archival purposes?

We use it in our film and audio areas to fasten and re-fasten audio tape and
film ends.

3M used to make Zebra Tape which was brilliant.  It was a black and white
striped tape (hence the name) and 1/4" in width.  This tape stuck and peeled
off easily and never left any residue. Unfortunately they stopped
manufacturing this tape some time ago.

We have used a product made by Quantegy (stock code: AC1H8125G). It wasn't
as great as the zebra tape (could not be refastend as often) but still has
worked well.

However for some reason they have replaced the plastic base with a
crepe-paper-type base.  I am not convinced that this replacement tape holds
the same archival properties that the other two products did.  I know
colleagues who encountered similar tape in the past and it was a nightmare
to peel off after a long period of time.  This replacement tape is more
sticky and I suspect that after some time, they will leave a residue and
possiby disintegrate.

So apart from the quantegy product, can anyone recommend any brands that can
be refastened and does not leave residue on the tape or film after long
periods of time?

I would appreciate any help people can offer.

Kind regards
Geeta Jatania
Preservation Officer - Audio
Preservation Services