Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" audio tape digitizing

At 07:31 AM 2/13/2006, Goran Finnberg wrote:
Jeffrey Kane:

Not mentioned so far is the fact that the playback EQ will be all wrong too.

But it can probably be acceptable for lo
fidelity material.

Hi, Goran,

I've been mentioning that there are ways to adjust the EQ either in the machine or in the DAW, but it is certainly a step that needs to be addressed.

My biggest concern is gap-loss in normal pro-machine repro heads. I think that's probably the limiting factor.

I am impressed with the specs of "direct" instrumentation recorders: 75 kHz at 15 in/s and 150 kHz at 30 in/s. These may have possibilities in this regard, with DAW post processing. If you use 10kHz as an upper limit for voice recordings, at 4x that gives you 40 kHz. So a 3.75 in/s voice recording, played at 15 in/s would be well within the bandwidth of an off-the shelf Racal Store 4DS and could be digitized at 88.2 ks/s, slowed down to 22.05 ks/s and then Sample Rate Converted to 44.1. Or you could use a higher sampling rate (which I don't have).

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/