Re: [ARSCLIST] Dynagroove, was Record tracking

The term "Shaded Dog" refers to the label RCA used at the time which was a
tomato label with an image of Nipper on a dark plum shaded half circle,
hence the term "Shaded Dog". You can see images at
http://www.ronpenndorf.com/labelography4.html.

I must disagree with an earlier post that is confusing Dynagroove with
Dynaflex. At the advent of the Dynagroove era, RCA was still issuing
full-weight pressings that were largely identical to what had come before.
It was merely the content that was adulterated, the pressings themselves
were fine. As we sank into the dark days of the early 70's, RCA introduced
Dynaflex which was intended to save them money as it used MUCH less vinyl. I
believe they were 80 gram pressings. They were pathetically thin and warped
if you looked at them wrong. I'm not entirely sure but I think RCA had
discontinued the use of Dynagroove by the advent of Dynaflex.

Apparently someone at RCA was smart enough to realize they didn't want to
use the process on the master tapes. Four track reels from this era bear
this out, as do Chesky and other re-releases of the same material.