Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" audio tape digitizing

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

David Lennick wrote

> You ever heard anything recorded at 15/16"? Suitable for radio station logger
> tapes and legal purposes, but barely listenable.
>
> dl

----- yes, I have. Here in Denmark I recorded a lot of Italian medium wave
radio for many nights from about midnight to 03:30 in the morning in the
spring of 1966 (about 1000 miles distance). The night programme began when
interfering transmitters shut down and ended for me when the dawn removed the
DX possibility. Medium and long wave in Europe has a 9 kHz interchannel
distance (10 kHz in the US), so the bandwidth is 4,500 Hz. This fitted well
with the bandwidth of the Uher Report 4000 at 15/16 ips I was using at the
time. Medium wave is not bad at all! I have hours of listenable material that
takes up very little space.

----- in those days I also used to record a lot off the radio on FM and
collected material on thematic tapes by re-recording. I recorded on the Uher
at 3 3/4 ips and transferred to the same speed on another Uher. In order to
save time I did all the transfers and editing at 7½ ips - I got quite
efficient at understanding announcements and so really lost very little time.
My only problem was that after a day's transfer I could not fall asleep at
night, because I heard Mickey Mouse voices all the time.

Reminiscing,

kind regards,

George