Re: [ARSCLIST] "Aircheck" history

Bob Olhsson wrote:

> Tom Fine wrote:
> >Now here's a followup question. If an affiliate recorded a program off the
> >network feed line for
> >delayed broadcast, is that an air-check or something else?
>
> I always heard the term delayed broadcast.

In fact that's usually how the discs would be labelled ("db"). You could consider them as line checks but that wasn't their original purpose.

> There were companies dedicated to making airchecks in many cities. My understanding is that they used phone lines and charged by the hour for overlapping acetates between specified times. It was common for ad agencies to give these to the sponsors.

There were also engineers who set up their own custom recording facilities and one fellow I know of had a line from the CBC to his home where he ran an aircheck service.

> The major labels would also hire them to record their console feed during sessions as a backup.

I know Columbia used World Broadcasting Service to record its sessions when it reinvented itself in 1939. On the other hand, many record companies used radio station facilities such as KFWB and WOR to do their recording.

dl