Re: [ARSCLIST] Camera and camera stand to capture LP covers?

On 07/02/06, Mike Richter wrote:
> Francesco Martinelli wrote:
>> Not the ones that will scan a whole Lp cover...
>> FM
>>

>>> No, but scanners are dirt cheap.
>
> True if you mean a bed for 12x12. However, one of moderate price
> designed to handle legal documents produces scans with a single
> splice. That is quick and straightforward with your choice of graphic
> editor.

I can't agree that it is straightforward, unless you only want rough
results. Most scanners now have no good solid edge to align the sleeve
against, and if your two halves are a degree or so out, there is major
fiddling to do.

Also, even with auto-density set to OFF, it is still usual to find that
the edges do not quite match in tone.

However, I would rather use an A3 (almost big enough) scanner than a
camera on a tripod. But an A4 scanner would be really hard work.

> True, the really inexpensive (U.S.) scanners handle only 8.5x11 and
> that implies four scans, but the two-scan (not two-state <G>) solution
> may be practical.

Regards
--
Don Cox