Re: [ARSCLIST] Scopes Trial Sound Recordings

> Michael Biel m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >There were many recording studios in business making air-checks by the end of 1930, especially in Chicago.

And presumably in New York..I've had two sets of aluminums of Whispering Jack Smith airchecks from 1931. One of them was done on one turntable (!)..portions missed during the changeovers. I've also had a number of airchecks on pressed discs from the Byers Studios in NY, 1930-31, but those were probably cut on the usual wax masters since they were pressed on shellac or various laminated substances.

> >It would have been difficult for Bryan to record anything related to the Scopes trial since he died several days after the end of the trial.  All the recordings he did make were Edison cylinders and Gennett discs.

And Victor and Columbia, in 1908.

dl