From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Erik Dix
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:34 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] F1 difficulties

Hi Mike!

I baked a bunch of 1/2 open reel EIAJ videotapes from the early 1970s
with a lot of success. They would otherwise not have played at all
because of SSS. Two of them I re-transferred approx. 2 years later. I
had to bake them again and I was still able to play them back. 2 hours
in a food dehydrator were enough for our tapes. I think these were
mostly Sony reels. We had some BASF that squealed and gave off a white
residue. Baking didn't help those.

I have bunch of Ampex vhs tapes from the early 80s that will not rewind
at all, but they are not gumming up the mechanics in the vcr. So I am
not sure if i should bake these or not. Maybe just re-housing them would
work.

If people request dvd copies of our material we use stand-alone
panasonic dvd recorders with success. I copy the footage onto the
onboard harddrives and then do minimal editing and then burn them onto
dvd

Once the dvd is finalized i make a copy of it with our computer dvd
burner for our Archives

Hope this helps!

Erik

Notre Dame Archives