[ARSCLIST] Replica 78s ([OffList] creating access cd's)

In a message dated 1/27/2006 11:39:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mrichter@xxxxxxx writes:

'78-rpm' discs are still being pressed - but on vinyl, not on 'shellac'.
I wonder whether the recipes still exist, though I doubt that there
would be any reason (other than authenticity) to prefer it.

Mike

Vinyl wouldn't last long on an acoustic era player. I would be fun to be able
to play a piece of modern music on a Grafonola if one could get durable
pressings made.

I wonder if there is a modern material that would be hard enough, perhaps
abrasive filled, that would be compatible with both vinyl presses and heavy steel
needles. The original shellac compound seems to have properties remarkably
suitable to the application.

Mike Csontos