Re: [ARSCLIST] CD writing speed

seva <seva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>audio CDs have many errors and are not corrected, per the protocol.
>they *may* be corrected by the player (hence the better players have
>less trouble, less audible problems).

Yes, exactly my point.  The number/rate of errors occurring may or may not
overload the playback correction.  If you record audio CDs at the low
point of the error vs. speed curve, you have a better chance of universal
CDDA playback in my experience.

>CD-ROM for data also has errors, but it has much more robust error
>correction, and if the disk can be read, it is bit for bit accurate,

True.  If my clients would accept data CDs as their archive, I'd be happy
to provide them for this reason.  (I could also give them greater bit
depth and higher sampling rates on data discs, too...but I won't open that
can of worms here.)  However, most folks want to be able to plop the thing
in a CD audio player and listen.  Also, if a data CD-ROM gives an error
message as unplayable, everything is "lost."  If the audio CD has some bad
patches, you may still be able to recover most of the audio.

>if you can play it as an audio
>disk, i don't count it as an archive at all.

Understood and I don't disagree.  However, many clients prefer otherwise.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet