Re: [ARSCLIST] the public Domain

Just playing devil's advocate...

When it comes to much older recordings, many record labels no longer have
the "Rembrandt" (the master) or even copies of it.  Although disposal of
masters is not considered "abandonment" of copyright, you have to wonder
just how much the record labels really valued their Rembrandts and copies
when they got rid of them.

And yet, in spite of the minimal commercial value that these much older
recordings have, thanks to existing copyright law, many listeners will never
have the opportunity to hear these works of art.

At some point, institutions (and clearly the record labels) run out of
storage space and start to quietly dispose of recordings to make room for
more current and "valuable" material.  By the time the year 2067 rolls
around, how many recordings - how much of our musical heritage - will be
lost?

I think there is a strong argument to be made that current copyright law is
far too onerous, and does more harm to our musical heritage than good.

To stick with the art analogy, even when there is a Rembrandt-like recording
locked away somewhere, it would be nice if it could be put on display so
that we could all pay to hear it.  In many cases, that isn't an option
because the commercial numbers don't "work" - it costs too much to make the
recording accessible (a big part of that cost is legal, again thanks to
copyright).  Music doesn't have to necessarily be given away, but it would
be nice if it could be accessible for a fee.

Finally, where older recordings are not available simply because they are
not commercially viable, that doesn't really benefit anyone - the public
can't buy it, and neither the record labels nor the musicians profit from
their music.  So who is paying the price?

Food for thought,

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128