Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Vinegar syndrome audio tapes

Baking will cure the tape only temporarily, perhaps 30 days, before it reverts to its original state.

Steven Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Vinegar syndrome audio tapes

One man's experiences with many rolls of 3M 111 and also Audiotape from the same era.

1. have absolutely encountered tapes with vinegar smell. All that I've encountered have been playable and transferred well.
2. have more often enountered warped/curled tape (hold up to light and see warpage/curled edges). These have, fortunately, been OK to transfer in the cases I've wanted the content on them. More often than not, they were long ago bulk-erased and the tape was dumped to free up reels and boxes. I gave away a bunch of "forensic sample" hubs a few years ago.
3. the worst damaged I've seen done to 3M 111 was from mold, which literally ate the oxide off the tape. Nothing to do in these cases, luckily very little important content. Tapes had been stored in a mold-prone basement, and it had taken a couple of decades of decay to render them unusable. Other moldy tapes were made playable with isoprop removal of the mold. NOTE: wear proper protection when dealing with mold. Some types are very hostile to human lungs and skin.
4. I just recently encountered Audiotape reels with strong vinegar smell. They had been stored in good conditions (Northeast US room temperature) for a few decades. I was surprised by this because previous vinegar tapes were more likely from damper places like basements. The tapes played just fine and I transferred them. Good thing they played because they had some content it would not be easy to re-record.

One final comment -- I still think sticky-shed is more of a pain to deal with and while I know some say that a good 12-hour baking will permanently cure the problem, that has not been my experience. My least favorite syndromes are, in order: mold, sticky-shed, bad splices, vinegar, edge curl/warp. Luckily have had very little problems with loss of lubricant but I'd put that one right after sticky-shed if I had much experience with it.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>