Re: [ARSCLIST] proper cataloging terminology: acetate vs lacquer?

David Lennick wrote:
Steven Smolian wrote:

I strongly also endorse lacquer.  It's accurate and easy.  Mike Biel has
been adamant about this for years, and he's correct.

Steve Smolian

Which is still not going to stop the general public from calling them
"acetates", any more than they'll stop referring to "Blue Wax Columbias",
matrix numbers "in the wax" etc.

dl

Next you'll be trying to tell us there are no precious gems in an Edison Diamond Disc.

"Acetate" became a term for the form just as we use peanut for a plant which is neither pea nor nut. I am one of the nuts who uses quotation marks on "78" as a designation for a recording nominally at that speed, but the great, wide world that knows the 78 is unaware that the term is imprecise.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/