Re: [ARSCLIST] Vinegar syndrome audio tapes

If it is vinegar syndrome, as I suspect it is, MOLECULAR SIEVES can be put in the containers to help absorb the acetic acid and consequently slow the despersal of the artifact chemical reaction . I've encountered   VS in film and tape , and they are extremely similar in odor.

Film gives off more vinegar, but I've equated this with the fact that film is several times the thickness of even 1.5 mil audiotape.

George Eastman House , many other film collectors and  I have used these sieves in vinegar syndrome 16  and 35 mm  acetate film prints to absorb the vinegar.

Best !

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx 1/17/2006 2:50 PM >>>
I wonder if it has to do with the vintage of the tape? As mentioned, I was
given a batch of tapes stored in film cans recently. All are vinegary, and all
were recorded around 1951-2. And all are Scotch 111.

dl