Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

steven c wrote:

We can assume that "digital" will clue the party that the pits and
absences represent ones and zeros. The next problem (see above) is
trying to figure out how the sequence (which wouldn't produce
anything like a sound signal if read directly) relates to the
sequence of digital values that represent a stepwise representation
of a sound waveform.

The problem appears to me to reduce to solvable and indeterminate parts - as follows.

1. Trace the spiral of the CD to get the sequence of recorded bits - not at all difficult given reasonable tools.

2. Guess that the disc represents audio and use persistence of tone to decrypt the encoding algorithm for the byte information. Not trivial, but not especially hard.

3. The process of 2. will lead to the breakdown of samples to bytes. That one is trivial.

4. Determine sample rate - a classic impossibility from the audio disc alone.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/