Re: [ARSCLIST] [AMIA-L] Storage of Acetate Magnetic Media

In a message dated 1/14/2006 3:48:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi, Mike,

Don't forget, I also said the following which, in many ways, is more
significant.

(2) It has been reported to me privately and the person doing the
reporting does not yet wish to publicize it, but I believe a batch of
at-risk Scotch 111 has been discovered.

I have noticed considerable variations in the condition of 3M 111, probably
only partly due to storage conditions. This mostly has to do with base
stiffness and curling.

All of my tape is stored in well ventilated areas on open shelves in
cardboard boxes (except for a few of the late fancy BASF and 3M plastic containers).

I do have and have seen 16 mm film in steel cans that definitely is showing
signs of vinegar syndrome. It may be just fortunate that the audio industry is
frugal enough that they did not take to using cans.

Mike Csontos