Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

On 12/01/06, John Spencer wrote:
> Well, it certainly helps perpetuate the myth that CD-Rs on a shelf
> will be easily read 100+ years from now.
>
> For some reason, every time I consult my crystal ball, I can't get an
> accurate answer on the availability of playback equipment for CD-R
> media 100 years from now!

We have playback equipment available now for cylinders and piano rolls
from 100 years ago. Provided there is no general collapse of
civilisation, it seems very likely that there will be equipment
available for archivists to read common media such as CDs in 100 years'
time.

DAT might be more of a problem, but I expect some ingenious inventor
will come up with a device.

There is a set of CDs issued by Andante of a live Toscanini performance
from Salzburg of Die Meistersinger, which was recorded on an obscure
film soundtrack recorder. A device was constructed to play it back.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx