Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
> I've long held that the true test for future availablility of a technology
> is if has been widely distributed enough to be found in the pawn shops.
The
> CD player certainly has.

The essential question then becomes:

How long will CD players last before needing extensive and often specialized
repairs?

Keep in mind that virtually all cylinder records are being played on
original vintage cylinder machines...but that is at least partially
because parts for the machines are generally available, either NOS
or reproduced, and the technology needed to repair the machines
is not too advanced.

If someone can find a surviving CD player in 2106, will there be
anyone left who knows exactly how to keep...or get...it running?
In fact, I wonder the same thing about today's computerized
automobiles...current cars are undoubtedly more efficient and
less trouble to operate, but what happens when the Acme
Semiconductor Chip Manufactory discontinues model X-2345
that your by-then-vintage machine needs to run...