To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound card recommendations

At 01:15 PM 1/11/2006, Casey, Michael T wrote:
Jeppe,

For preservation work, IASA TC-04 recommends a stand alone A/D CONVERTER for a variety of reasons and provides technical specifications. This is to be used with a sound card that can pass a digital stream without alteration. They do not recommend using a card to handle the A/D conversion.

Hi, Mike,

I understand what IASA says, but perhaps it's time to re-think that standard.

Two of the finest analog-digital options for the PC are the Lynx Two and the oft-recommended Carddeluxe from DAL.

Granted these are exceptions to the rule concerning not putting the converters in the PC box, but they do work very well according to my research.

With that said, I use two RME Multifaces which are outboardes box and I believe it meets IASA standards, though I haven't looked recently. Each one uses a dedicated host PCI card and the converters are in an outboard box.

I have also just acquired a MOTU 828 MK II which is an outboard converter box with mixing and routing capabilities and it has 10 analog ins and connects via 1394/Firewire to the host. I feel this is the direction that things are headed and it might be wise to select this topology. This was purchased for use with my laptop for multi-track field recording -- the advantage here is that it adds two mic preamps for the stereo pair while allowing me to use the 8 direct mic outs of my Mackie 1604-VLZ mixer (or four directs and four submasters ... or...anyway it keeps the overall pair out of the sound reinforcement mixer). I now use the MOTU in the studio with the AUX computer as it allows me to ingest long digital programs while I'm using the main audio computer and two RME Multifaces to ingest analog programs.

Cheers,

RIchard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/