Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool

In the late 70s to mid 80s, a radio nonprofit I worked for bought boxes and boxes of Shamrock black 7" reels of castoff Ampex 457 - some of it not slit properly, some of it with gooey backcoating or falling off even when new. We'd splice together two 7" reels for an hourlong program, and sometimes they would actually sound different... we made masters on this S**T too. Imagine the baking when some of that is acccessed now! Fortunately most of the 20 years they did analog, it was on Scotch 176 - cheap and ordinary but still plays fine today (I know, I transfer tapes for them even now sometimes!)...

My point is Shamrock is all discraded tape as far as I am concerned. Careful!

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689