To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CDR Serial Number

There is a standard for the code: not between manufacturers I concede but there is a standard within a manufacturer. We use discs from two manufacturers: Taiyo Yuden and MAM-E (who manufacture under licence from Mitsui). The serial number will indicate the date and time of manufacture, the machine used etc etc. We have the code to decipher the Taiyo Yuden serial number - we've never had the need or interest to - but as I've written before on this list we use the serial number as an identifier that is unique to the disc. The discs we buy can be 'lot traced'. We would find this invaluable if, for instance, discs from a certain lot 'went wrong'. We would then use the serial numbers (which are searchable in our catalogue) to weed out potential rogues from the collections and re-transfer or otherwise remedy the problem.

Regards and greetings from a grey but mild London

Nigel

Nigel Bewley
British Library Sound Archive

"Many, but not all, CD and DVD recordable and rewritable discs contain a
lot
code in the clear inner ring. This is determined by the manufacturer for
traceability purposes. There is no standard for this code. It is
possible,
but not probable, that multiple discs would have the same lot code".

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The Library's St Pancras site is WiFI - enabled

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.