Re: [ARSCLIST] Plus Deck

Hi Frank

I'm writing to you off-list, as I seem to be having a problem getting
mymails to the list server at the moment.

On 27/12/2005 you wrote;

FF> I have purchased this unit, described at http://plusdeck.com....
FF> My purpose is to make DVDs from 1000-2000 C-90s

I realise you have already purchased this unit, but I would *strongly*
advise that you sell it on and buy something which would be more
suitable for your project.

Having had a look at their website and read the manual, etc., I have
come to the conclusion that this is exactly what you don't need for
your particular purpose.

There are a number of problems and I list just a few which come to
mind;

1 - Azimuth adjustment is not possible without removing the hardware
from the computer and then the tape drive from its container.  Azimuth
adjustment is almost a given for cassette tapes, in order to achieve
optimal transfer quality.  You will find many tapes in your collection
which will been recorded on machines with the azimuth incorrectly set
and it is imperative that you correct for this before doing any
transfer into the digital domain.

2 - This tape drive is highly reminiscent of the type used in car
players.  These do not have a good reputation, particularly when it
comes to their tape handling ability.  I would never play an original
tape in a car player, just in case it decided to chew it up.  Your
archive tapes are the very last ones to be trusted to such a mechanism.

3 - By the same token, Plusdeck do not recommend this unit for playing
C90 tapes - which is another indication of the tape handling not being
of the finest.

Quite honestly, it's my opinion - and I'm sure many will agree with me
- this is totally the incorrect choice for your project.  It's aimed
towards people who know nothing about audio transfer or cassettes and
is simplistic beyond belief.

This device is little or no better than a car cassette player and you
would be *much* better off with a reasonable quality domestic cassette
player, where the tape handling would be better and the azimuth
adjustment can be easily accessed.

The fact of the source material being of poorish quality is no reason
to make it even worse during the transfer process.  In fact, the
reverse is true - you should aim to transfer and digitise at the
highest possible quality.

Regards and Seasons Greetings

Graeme Jaye

graemejaye@xxxxxxxxx