Re: [ARSCLIST] Plus Deck

At 06:37 PM 12/26/2005, Frank Forman wrote:

Frank Forman here:

I have purchased this unit, described at http://plusdeck.com. It plugs
into a bay on your computer and lets you pop an audio cassette into it and
make sound files, wav and MP3 among them, to your hard disk. It uses a
serial cable, but my new e-Machine does not take them, and I'll have to
buy a serial card to get it to work.

Frank,

The online manual says Don't use (among other things)
"Extra longer tapes (i.e. 90 min or above): it's very thin, so it can get entangle
or is cut during operation."

I really think you'd be far better off with an outboard cassette player. Many audio applications provide timer record where you can set it to stop recording after 94 minutes or whatever. I'm not saying that you need to get Nakamichi Dragons like I use for transfers, but something better than this would probably be a good choice.

Deterioration of the tape has a lot to do with how they're stored and, to some extent, it's brand/part number specific.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/